- Zakopane: Meet Poland’s Goral Highlanders and share their culture at a dinner with local specialities and music.
- Poznan: Learn the secrets behind the St. Martin’s croissant, a local delicacy of Poznan with a longhold history, and enjoy a tasting.
- Warsaw: The Polish capital is currently enjoying a culinary renaissance find out what the buzz is all about during your endoftour Celebration Dinner with wine at a favourite restaurant.
- Dining Summary: 9 Breakfasts (B) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
Start in Krakow and end in Warsaw, the Highlights Of Poland trip is a guided local culture trip that takes 10 days. You will travel through Warsaw, Gdansk, Zakopane and 3 other destinations in Poland. Highlights Of Poland is a group trip which includes accommodation in hotels, transport, meals and others.
Poland today is probably Europe’s best kept secret. Appreciate the wealth of medieval fairy-tale cities and scenic wonders on this enthralling journey, and enjoy the warm-hearted hospitality of the Polish people themselves.
Transfers to your hotel depart Kraków airport at 12:30 and 15:00. Meet your Travel Director at 18:00 for a walk around the Rynek Główny, Europe’s largest and most beautiful town square. See the famous Sukiennice Cloth Hall, St. Mary’s Church and the many historic townhouses, palaces and churches. Be sure to listen for the trumpeter’s call! Later, enjoy getting to know your fellow guests over a fabulous Welcome Dinner. (Dinner with Wine)
In the morning, why not join an optional experience to visit the Wieliczka Salt Mine? Alternatively, relax until your ascent of Wawel Hill to see the Renaissance castle with a Local Expert. Visit the cathedral, the final resting place of the Kings of Poland and the former seat of Archbishop Karol Wojtyła, later known to the world as Pope John Paul II. Head across the former Jewish Quarter of Kazimierz, and then to Podgórze to see Ghetto Square. The rest of the day is at leisure. Perhaps spend time browsing the shops for traditional folklore products? By night, don’t miss the chance of enjoying a Polka Party with dinner and wine. (Breakfast)
Journey into the Tatras, the highest range of the Carpathian Mountains. Stay in the resort town of Zakopane, famous for its wooden houses and winter sports. On arrival, join your Travel Director for an orientation of the city. Spend free time shopping for local specialties in the markets of Krupówki Street or ascend a nearby mountain for panoramic views across the Tatras into Slovakia. In the evening, enjoy a rousing Highlight Dinner accompanied by Goral Highlander folklore entertainment at a local restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Travelling past the birthplace of Pope John Paul II, your first stop will be the city of Oświęcim, better known throughout the world by its German name, Auschwitz. With a local historian, experience a moving visit to the memorial and museum of Auschwitz and a stop at Birkenau. Travel along the Oder River to the city of Wrocław, known in Polish as Miasto Spotkań or the meeting place. During its long history, Wrocław has belonged to Poland, Bohemia, Austria, Prussia and Germany. See the brightly coloured facades of the noble mansions and the flower markets on the Plac Solny. Take in the Baroque splendour of the Rynek, and be introduced to Wrocław’s cheeky gnomes. (Breakfast)
With a relaxed start to the day, perhaps join a Local Expert on an Optional Experience to ride a historic 1900s Breslauer tram? Drive out to Ostrów Tumski, known as Cathedral Island. It’s considered as the birthplace of Poland in the 10th century and is a fascinating place of legend, often overlooked by other visitors. Journey to the region of Wielkopolska to meet a local resident of Poznań who knows every nook and cranny of the Old Town. Learn the secrets behind the St. Martin’s croissant, a local delicacy of Poznan with a special history, and enjoy a tasting. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Stop at Gniezno to visit the cathedral and see the famous winged bronze doors. Then continue to Toruń, founded by the Teutonic Knights in 1233 and birthplace of astronomer, Nicolaus Copernicus. Join a Local Expert to discover this outstanding example of medieval architecture, now a living museum and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Spend time exploring at your own pace. Why not shop for traditional gingerbread? Follow the Vistula River north to the Baltic Sea and Gdańsk a beautiful seaside town, with a lovingly restored Old Town. As evening descends, a dinner of Baltic specialities is highly recommended, followed by a walk through Gdańsk’s illuminated historic district. (Breakfast)
Spend the morning with a Local Expert. See the Westerplatte, scene of the first fighting between Polish and German troops in 1939, and the Gdańsk Shipyards where Lech Wałęsa formed the anti-Soviet Solidarność in 1980. Continue through the medieval city, where buildings date back to the time of the Hanseatic League. Enjoy a free afternoon and perhaps choose to visit the elegant seaside town of Sopot?(Breakfast)
With a Local Expert, visit the Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork, founded in 1274 by the Teutonic Knights on the banks of the Nogat River. The castle is a stunning example of a medieval fortress and the largest brick Gothic castle in the world. Next, travel south across the beautiful Masuria Lake District, passing Iława on the way to the capital of Warsaw. With the rest of the day at your leisure, perhaps attend an evening concert of Poland’s best-loved composer, Frédéric Chopin?(Breakfast)
See the Palace of Culture and the Chopin Monument in Łazienki Park with a Local Expert. Visit the Monument to the Ghetto Heroes, followed by a walk through Warsaw’s Old Town, entirely rebuilt since World War II. The afternoon is yours to enjoy at leisure. Perhaps visit Wilanów Palace, once the home to Poland’s most famous King Jan Sobieski III? At your Celebration Dinner, enjoy a fine selection of local dishes with wine at a cosy Warsaw restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Your journey comes to an end with your departure transfer arriving at Warsaw airport at 07:30 or 10:00. (Breakfast)
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary.
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- Any international flights to Krakow and from Warsaw are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Highlights of Poland tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy.