Toronto is the biggest and one of the most beautiful cities in Canada, perfect for anyone interested in culture, arts, gastronomy, business and entertainment as well.
If you are planning a visit to the city, congrats, you’re in for a real adventure! During my two weeks road trip Canada itinerary I visited this awesome city for two and a half days and I really enjoyed every moment!
But you might now be wondering where to stay in Toronto for the best vacation. This is an important subject, considering that Toronto is quite a big city, divided into maaany different areas and neighborhoods! You probably want to be as central as possible, close to the main attractions, am I right?
No worries, I will explain everything you need to know about the best Toronto neighborhoods in this ultimate guide! I’ll give personalized recommendations for both areas and the best hotels in each of them, all of them with stunning reviews, fit for every type of budget and preference. You’ll also find some gorgeous apartments down below, so there’s something for anyone here!
- If you’re in a hurry…
- First of all, which area should you choose?
- 1. Downtown Toronto – Where to stay in Toronto for the first time
- 2. Entertainment District
- 3. Midtown – Where to stay in Toronto for nightlife
- 4. Harbourfront
- 5. West Queen West
- 6. Chinatown – Best area to stay in Toronto on a budget
- 7. Yorkville & Bloor – Where to stay in Toronto for luxury
- Best apartments in Toronto
- Best hotels near Toronto Airport
PRO TIP: Toronto is a VERY popular destination, so the hotels get booked far in advance, trust me! Make sure to secure your spot if you want to pay the best prices for the best accommodations out there. Remember: prices are only getting higher as time passes, not lower! 😉
Are you ready? Let’s go!
IF YOU’RE IN A HURRY…
Best area for first-timers is Downtown Toronto. Make it your base if you want to be close to the main attractions in the city, nightlife, restaurants, cute cafes and more! Some of the landmarks of this area include museums, shops and the famous CN Tower.
BEST HOTELS IN TORONTO IN A NUTSHELL
- Best luxury hotel: Four Seasons Hotel Toronto at Yorkville
- Best middle-priced hotel: Clinton and Bloor B&B by Elevate Rooms
- Best budget hotel: Rose Garden Bed and Breakfast
FIRST OF ALL, WHICH AREA SHOULD YOU CHOOSE?
As I mentioned before, Toronto is divided into many different areas, each of them with its own advantages and charm. Below you’ll find my personalized recommendations for every type of traveler:
- Best area to stay in Toronto for luxury: Yorkville
- Best area for budget travelers: Chinatown
- Where to stay in Toronto for shopping: Downtown
- Where to stay in Toronto for nightlife: Midtown
- Best for families: Downtown
Here is a map, so you can better understand about these 7 areas:
Now that you better understand how Toronto is organized by areas, let’s find out more about each of them and about the best hotels where you can stay.
NOTE: All of the areas I am mentioning below are very central or walking distance from the city center, so your choice will be based on your personal preferences and budget, basically!
Here we go:
1. DOWNTOWN TORONTO – WHERE TO STAY IN TORONTO FOR THE FIRST TIME
Downtown is, basically, the main core of Toronto and the best area to stay if you want to be as central as possible!
Staying in Downtown Toronto (located in Old Toronto District) is the most convenient choice if you ask me, especially if you are visiting for the first time or if you only have a couple of days in the city. More specifically, the very center of the city is considered to be Yonge Dundas Square, right near Dundas subway station.
If you choose to make Downtown your base, you’ll be surrounded by countless shops, good restaurants, the famous St. Lawrence Market, and all the other best things to do in Toronto. Honestly, this area is perfect for any type of traveler!
That being said, let’s see which are the best hotels in Downtown Toronto, I organized them by prices for your convenience:
LUXURY (US$150 AND UP)
- The St. Regis Toronto – This is one of the best hotels out there, with easy access to Yonge Dundas Square! This hotel was first called “Trump International Hotel”, so you might’ve heard about it because it was associated with president Trump. That’s not that important – the main thing I want to say is that this hotel offers real top notch service and facilities!
- Grand Hotel Toronto – Here’s one of the best hotels in Downtown Toronto, really! The location is simply perfect and you’ll definitely enjoy the rooftop patio, gourmet restaurant and free Wi-Fi. What more can you wish for?
- Hilton Toronto – In case you want to find Hilton hotels in Toronto, there’s an answer for you as well! This property has a fabulous location, right in the heart of the city. One of the best advantages of staying here is the
- The Omni King Edward Hotel Toronto – This is truly one of the best luxury hotels in Toronto! This 4-star luxury hotel has a fabulous on-site restaurant, beautiful rooms, their own fitness center and many other cool advantages! Plus, it’s very close to Yonge Dundas Square, the very center of Toronto!
MIDDLE-PRICED (US$90 – US$150)
- Two Peas Pod Hostel – In case you want to stay as central as possible and enjoy a great value for the money, then choose a private room at this hostel, you definitely won’t regret your choice! They also have a very cozy shared lounge, free Wi-Fi and clean rooms.
- HI Toronto Hostel – As an alternative, the private rooms at this hotel are amazing as well, with an ideal location for your stay in Toronto. They even have an on-site bar where you can sit and enjoy a traditional Canadian drink!
RELATED READ: Best Things to Do in Toronto, Canada
BUDGET (UP TO US$90)
- Home in Downtown – I really think this is one of the best places to stay in Toronto on a budget, very close to Yonge Dundas Square! The rooms are simple, bright and clean, perfect for a good night’s sleep right in the heart of the city. They even have a shared lounge and a garden where you can relax!
- Elegant Suite at Bloor/Bathurst – If you are looking for a place where to stay in Toronto on a budget, this is a great choice as well! They have everything you’ll need for a pleasant stay including free Wi-Fi, a buffet or American breakfast, nice rooms and a fabulous location in the center!
2. ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT
The Entertainment District is both very central and vibrant, so a great choice for anyone that’s looking for nightlife, convenience and being close to all the main Toronto tourist attractions. This wonderful area boasts countless great restaurants, bars, concert venues with live music and some of the best nightclubs in the city. King Street is the core of this area, so staying close to it is a great choice.
The Entertainment District is also great if you want fabulous upscale hotels and big chains of accommodation, so expect the prices to be higher and the selection of budget hotels a bit lower. Still, I found some great options for your stay, grouped by budget!
P.S.: For some travel inspiration, I recommend checking out this article about the Best Things to Do in Toronto!
LUXURY (US$200 AND UP)
- Fairmont Hotel Toronto Royal York – In case you’re looking for hotels near Union Station in Toronto, this one’s the perfect choice, as it’s right across the street from it! This gorgeous 4-star hotel awaits with 5 on-site restaurants, spacious and cozy rooms, their own gym and even on-site shopping options. What more can you wish for?
- Marriott Hotel Toronto City Centre – If you didn’t make up your mind yet, no worries, I got even more high-end hotels for you! This one offers 4-star luxury service and different types of rooms that you can choose from. Regardless of your choice, you’ll surely be spoiled!
- The Strathcona Hotel Toronto – In case you want to be a short walk from Hockey Hall of Fame, here’s a great choice for you! This is one of the best hotels in Toronto Entertainment District and it has some very beautiful rooms with marble bathrooms. It’s also located very close to Union Station – which means it’s very central!
MIDDLE-PRICED (US$100 – US$200)
- Simply Comfort. Rooms in the Heart of Downtown – if you are considering staying in this neighborhood in Toronto and enjoy great quality for the price you’re paying, book a room at this homestay! It’s also one of the best family hotels in Toronto, as you’ll have plenty of space and much-needed amenities!
- 14 York Street – Here’s an amazing option for a couple! This spacious apartment has a very nice decor and it’s located right in the heart of the vibrant Entertainment District, close to many shopping opportunities and central attractions!
BUDGET (UP TO US$100)
- The Clarence Park – This one’s a true gem, especially for people who want to stay close to the headquarters of Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF Bell Lightbox) AND on a budget! This great hostel offers dormitory rooms, all of them very clean and cozy.
3. MIDTOWN – WHERE TO STAY IN TORONTO FOR NIGHTLIFE
Midtown is the perfect area if you want to enjoy the vibrant nightlife of Toronto!
Midtown is located a bit North from the city center and it’s a very cool area for your stay. It’s a very interesting neighborhood, combining both old and modern buildings, many shops and restaurants, as well as museums. The Annex is a smaller area in this district and a great choice which I definitely recommend.
Below you’ll find my hand-picked hotel recommendations for your stay, in case you think Midtown is your place to be:
LUXURY (US$200 AND UP)
- Kimpton Saint George – I think this is one of the best Toronto luxury hotels if you want to be spoiled during your stay in the city! It’s also a great option because the hotel is only a short walk away from Royal Ontario Museum or Bata Shoe Museum, for example. The rooms are modern and very cool, and the staff is super friendly and helpful!
- The Annex – The name of the hotel says it all – book a room here if you want to stay inside The Annex area, a very good place for your stay in Toronto! You can choose from different types of rooms, all of them spacious and clean.
MIDDLE-PRICED (US$120 – US$200)
- Clinton and Bloor B&B by Elevate Rooms – This cute bed and breakfast is a great choice if you want to enjoy a traditional, cozy atmosphere. The rooms are clean, there are some seating areas where you can relax and the property has, of course, free Wi-Fi as well!
- Charming Victorian Annex Area – In case you’re the type of traveler that wants to have a kitchen that they can use, this is a great place for you! This one’s located in a very charming 19th-century building and the rooms are simple and nice.
BUDGET (UP TO US$120)
- Havinn International Guest House – When you search for budget properties on Booking, Toronto won’t come cheap! But still, I have found this option for you that I really think will help you save a couple of bucks. It’s a Victorian-style guesthouse with shared bathrooms, but it’s very cozy and nice!
- Rose Garden Bed and Breakfast – Here’s the best budget hotel I have found in all the neighborhoods of Toronto! It offers great quality service, great prices and it only has amazing reviews. Plus, the location is great!
Harbourfront is very close to the Entertainment District; technically, it’s located north of Lake Ontario, on the banks and it’s a great place walking distance to the city center.
Jack Layton Ferry Terminal is also here, the gateway if you want to visit the Toronto islands. You will also find many restaurants and bars here, as well as charming cafes and art galleries, green areas, artist studios and swimming spots (such as Bluffer’s Park).
There are many great hotels in this area, and the best ones have a wonderful view of the lake and the islands.
If you want to stay in Harbourfront, here are the best hotels you can choose from:
LUXURY (US$200 AND UP)
- Delta Hotel Toronto by Marriott – This wonderful 4-star hotel in Toronto is the ideal location for those who want to be super close to Rogers Centre, Hockey Hall of Fame or the Aquarium of Canada, for example. One of the best advantages of staying here is probably the indoor pool – perfect for some relaxation!
- The Westin Harbour Castle – Here’s another awesome option for all travelers that want to stay in style. The list of awesome facilities here includes an indoor pool, gorgeous rooms and impressive facilities. Plus, it’s only a short walk from Union Station and the Aquarium of Canada, in case you’re interested in visiting this landmark!
- Radisson Admiral Harbourfront – In case you’re searching for a hotel that has an outdoor pool, this one’s for you! The rooms are simply stunning and they have a view of the city or of the harbour. They have their on-site restaurant, as well as a fitness center!
MIDDLE-PRICED (US$150 – US$200)
- Waterfront Condo in the Clouds – This one’s a stunning vacation home in Harbourfront, perfect for a group of maximum 4 people! Shopping malls, bars, art galleries and Scotiabank Arena (formerly Air Canada Centre) – is literally a stone throw away from this accommodation!
- MiCasa Suites – Modern Executive Condo – This awesome 4-star apartment is ideal if you want to be right in the heart of the city, in the Harbourfront district. It has a beautiful, vibrant decor and it’s surrounded by tons of attractions and shopping options!
BUDGET (UP TO US$150)
- 14 York Street – This one’s extremely close to Scotiabank Arena (formerly Air Canada Centre), Union Station and Ripley’s Aquarium, so it basically has a wonderful location! It’s ideal for two people and they have free Wi-Fi, their own restaurant and bar as well. So cool!
5. WEST QUEEN WEST
If you go a bit to the West from the Entertainment District, you’ll get to West Queen West, a super cool and trendy neighborhood!
Actually, in 2014 Vogue named West Queen West as being the second coolest neighborhood in the entire world!
It’s the perfect area for young people who don’t want to get bored, even for a second! There’s always something to do in West Queen West, around Queen Street, regardless if you visit it during the day or night. In this area you’ll encounter artists, fashion lovers and street art everywhere you look, as well as cool bars, excellent restaurants that serve international cuisines, cafes and many galleries.
If this sounds like your cup of tea, here are the best Toronto accommodation options in this area:
LUXURY (US$200 AND UP)
- Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel – In case you’re on the search for Sheraton hotels in Toronto, you’re in luck! This famous chain of hotels has a property in Toronto as well, where they await with the same flawless service you’re already familiar with!
- The Drake – This is another great option for your stay in West Toronto, near Arts and Design District. Book a room here if you want to be surrounded by art galleries, popular attractions and a gorgeous park full of maple leafs. An amazing choice!
READ MORE: 15 Best Things to Do in Montreal, Canada
MIDDLE-PRICED (US$140 – US$200)
- Gladstone Hotel – This is actually an iconic hotel in the city! Pick it as your base if you want to be located in a gorgeous Victorian building and if you want to enjoy a great service, a unique decor that combines both old and new, an on-site cafe and more!
- Lux Suites In The Heart Of King West – This gorgeous 4-star apartment is another great choice in this cool district. It’s perfect for 4 people and it has air conditioning, modern decor and some very accessible prices!
BUDGET (UP TO US$140)
- Lux 1BR Suite in King West – Being the coolest district in the city, unfortunately the budget options are a bit scarce for Queen West district. But here’s a great option, especially if you are traveling in a group of 3 people. Plus, it has a great location, located right in the heart of the city!
6. CHINATOWN – BEST AREA TO STAY IN TORONTO ON A BUDGET
Actually, did you know that Toronto has no less than six Chinatowns? I wasn’t kidding when I said that this is a multicultural city!
But I’ll be talking about the Chinatown in Downtown Toronto here. This is a very lively and interesting neighborhood where you’ll find many shops and local restaurants everywhere you look around.
Trust me, if you’re a foodie, THIS is the place to be! This is also one of the best Toronto neighborhoods for budget travelers and backpackers, as you’ll find many good accommodations with accessible prices here. And considering this is a very central area, I think that’s an amazing combo!
Okay, enough talking, let’s see what are the best hotels in this awesome Toronto neighborhood:
LUXURY (US$170 AND UP)
- Shangri-La Hotel Toronto – Here’s a very beautiful choice and one of the best 5-star hotels in Toronto, located only 15 minutes from Chinatown by foot! It is also about 10 minutes walking from the Art Gallery of Ontario and Toronto Symphony Orchestra, so it’s great for those interested in culture and entertainment.
- Bisha Hotel Toronto – Didn’t make up your mind yet? No worries, here is another excellent 5-star hotel located very close to Chinatown district. The rooms are simply superb and it also has a rooftop outdoor pool as well – what more could you wish for?
READ MORE: Awesome Things to Do near Niagara Falls
MIDDLE-PRICED (US$80 – US$170)
- The Rex Hotel Jazz & Blues Bar – This beautiful hotel is full of personality and it awaits with great service and a super friendly staff! The rooms are simple and cozy and the property is just around the corner from the Art Gallery of Ontario and other popular attractions.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Toronto Downtown – This is actually a 4-star hotel that offers luxury facilities, but you can pay a more affordable price if you make sure you book it beforehand! They have an indoor pool, a fitness center, and on-site restaurant and everything else in between!
BUDGET (UP TO US$80)
- Two Peas Pod Hostel – This great hostel awaits with free Wi-Fi, a cozy terrace where you can relax and unwind, a shared lounge and comfortable rooms. Plus, they serve a daily continental breakfast at the property and it’s really good!
- Toronto Lucky House – This guest house is a very good budget option and you’ll be lucky to find a free room here. In case you do, make sure to reserve it, as the prices are usually very good! The rooms are simple but cozy and the location is pretty awesome, considering the prices.
7. YORKVILLE & BLOOR – WHERE TO STAY IN TORONTO FOR LUXURY
Yorkville is the perfect spot in Toronto for luxury travelers that want to be close to designer shops, world-class restaurants and, of course, top hotels!
Yorkville and Bloor are very central, so you’ll be close to all the main landmarks in this city. This is also the place where celebrities hang out and sip on cocktails. While you’re here, make sure you don’t miss one of the most expensive shopping streets in the entire world – yep, I’m talking about Mink Mile, nestled in this fabulous neighborhood! Royal Ontario Museum is also located here and it’s definitely a must-visit during your stay.
Below you’ll find my best, hand-picked hotels in this high-end area:
LUXURY (US$200 AND UP)
- Four Seasons Toronto at Yorkville – Here we have THE best luxury hotel in the entire Toronto (and maybe in North America as well), no kidding! It awaits with world-class 5-star service and stunning reviews from travelers. Plus, it’s located in the gorgeous district of Yorkville, many shopping opportunities, culture spots and other popular attractions are very close!
- The Hazelton Hotel – Here’s another stunning 5-star hotel for your stay in Toronto. The rooms are very modern and bright and they even have an on-site spa, marble bathrooms, free Wi-Fi, movie room and an on-site restaurant as well.
- InterContinental Toronto Yorkville – In case you didn’t book your ideal accommodation in this district, I have another high-end recommendation for you! This 4-star property is located close to the main attractions in the city, including Royal Ontario Museum and Bata Shoe Museum.
RELATED READ: Best Hotels in the Coolest Areas of Montreal
MIDDLE-PRICED (FROM US$100 – US$200)
- The Anndore House – If you’re looking for a comfortable property for your stay in Toronto that won’t break the bank, this one might be a very good choice for you! It’s located in the fab district of Yorkville and it boasts a 4-star service, an on-site restaurant, free Wi-Fi, a cafe and many other useful amenities and facilities.
- Town Inn Suites – This 3-star accommodation awaits with free Wi-Fi, a great restaurant, friendly staff and all the facilities you might need. Oh, did I mention they also have an indoor pool? So cool!
BUDGET (UP TO US$100)
Okay, where you can stay in this district on a budget? This might sound like a tricky question considering all the upscale properties located here, but I have two great answers for you:
- Victoria’s Mansion Guest House – This charming guest house dates from the 1880s and I think it’s a great choice for those looking for a traditional atmosphere. The rooms are cozy and very clean and the property is very close to Downtown Toronto, not very far from Kensington Market, for example.
- Havinn International Guest House – If you want to stay around Bloor Street, this is your choice! The rooms are cozy and they have a shared bathroom, all nested in a historic Victorian-style building. So beautiful and it’s also one of the cheapest hotels in Toronto!
BEST APARTMENTS IN TORONTO
In case you’re the type of traveler that likes to feel right at home while traveling, maybe an apartment would be the best choice, what do you think? No worries, Toronto is full of amazing Airbnbs that offer everything you might need for a great stay. By the way, staying in an apartment is also a very good choice for people traveling with their family and kids, as the extra space is much welcomed, as well as the extra amenities such as the kitchen or seating area.
I have made a research for the best apartments in Toronto, all of them right in the center of the city. Here are your options:
LUXURY (US$160 AND UP)
- Upscale Condo in the Heart of Downtown – This is a simply stunning hotel that has incredible views of the city! It’s very stylish and it has floor to ceiling windows. Plus, the location is amazing, very central and close to Yonge Street. All guests loved it!
- Downtown 2Br 2 Bath, CN Tower Views – This is another amazing upscale option for travelers that want to enjoy Toronto with a view! It’s definitely on my list of best apartments in the city!
MIDDLE-PRICED (US$100 – US$160)
- Beautiful Condo at 300 Front St – This is a sparkling clean apartment with a modern decor and all the facilities you might need for a pleasant stay. It’s very close to the iconic CN Tower and the building even has an infinity pool, how cool is that?
- King West – Fashion & Entertainment District – If you want to stay at King Street West, this is your choice! You’ll be right in the middle of the action, close to the Entertainment District. The building has a rooftop pool and the apartment is super stylish, I just love it!
BUDGET (UP TO US$100)
- Central Toronto Bachelorette – Looking for a budget accommodation in the center of Toronto? No worries, this apartment is your answer! It’s small but very cozy and perfectly located, super close to Spadina subway station! It has free Wi-Fi, a kitchenette and a homey feel – great advantages!
- Modern Hotel-Style Studio Apartment – This apartment has a very modern and cool decor and it comes with some very good prices, ideal for budget travelers! Needless to say, the location is pretty much great as well!
BEST HOTELS NEAR TORONTO AIRPORT
In case you have a late night flight or you want to return a rented car after your stay in the city, maybe staying in a hotel close to Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) might be one of the smartest choices for you!
Oh, and by the way, even though the area close to the airport is usually kind of boring in many of the world’s cities, Toronto is an exception! You will surely find many great restaurants that you can choose from here.
Below I have made a selection of the three best airport hotels in Toronto, one for each type of budget:
- Doubletree by Hilton Toronto Airport Hotel – Here’s my upscale recommendation for people who want to be as close to the airport as possible. This 4-star accommodation has an indoor pool, ATM and even a fitness center and it’s only 1.5km from the airport.
- Alt Hotel Toronto Airport – This is my recommendation for Toronto airport hotels if you’re looking for a great middle-priced stay.
- Rejoice – If you’re on a budget, no worries, I have a solution for you as well! This homestay is less than 5km from the airport and it comes with some very good prices, as well as an excellent service and amenities!
That’s it! You reached the end of my very detailed post about the best neighborhoods and hotels in Toronto, North America’s gem!
In this post I explained everything about the best Toronto areas for all types of travelers and budgets and I gave you my hand-picked hotels in each of them for your convenience. No worries, all the accommodations I am recommending have flawless reviews and great facilities, so you just need to pick the perfect district for you.
I hope that you already found the dream place for your vacation and I wish you a great trip to Toronto, Canada!
By the way, if you need more travel inspiration about Canada, you can check out all of my articles about this amazing country here.
Travelling Expo Team